last week while i was over at my mom’s house i noticed some homemade silver bells that she had hanging on her hall tree in the dining room. i had noticed them in years past (and kinda remember making them in sunday school when i was little) but this year they really popped out and i wanted to create my own with my littles. since they were home monday and tuesday with the general winter icks we tackled them yesterday for a little restful project. simply made with items you already have in the house (or could easily save to use) i thought i’d share a quick tutorial in case you’re interested.
supplies needed : 5 egg cartons (this made two 4 strand garlands), tin foil, scissors, twine or thread, needle
time to complete : about 1/2 an hour
cut all of the egg cups apart using shears.
cut all of the pokey extra bits off of the individual egg cups until you have a simple round cup shaped edging
cut tin foil into square sheets and wrap over the cups and smooth down edges.
thread your egg bells onto twine or thread (i used bakers twine style yarn i already had & an upholstery needle). i made sure to use a different amount on each strand so that we would have different lengths when they were bundled together. tie together once you have 3-4 strands.
we made one longer strand than the other as i wasn’t counting the cups as i thread them.
i’m thrilled at the result and so happy we were able to make something with random household supplies and without having to spend a ton of money on “craft” supplies. the kids were excited that we had matching decor as their “nonna” too.
have a wonderful wednesday!
i’ve been plugging away over the last week slowly putting the foundation pages together for my december book, created with the november project kit that i designed for JBS mercantile (purchase it here). there are so many beautiful goodies in the kit, and after piling all of this inside i still have alot left over to help embellish my pages. megan made a beautiful page using all of the goodies, a great idea if minibooks aren’t exactly your thing. ;)
the pink paislee tabbed pages are so lovely. i used JBS for ranger ink pads in chewing gum & specked egg to “dye” them. just rub the ink pad over the pages completely and then wipe away the ink that’s beading up on the “resist” parts. super easy and alot cleaner and less messy than using mists, although that would be gorgeous too.
about five year’s ago i signed up for shimelle’s journal your christmas class and i think i have made a mini book each year (except one?). i love that purchasing that one class has included so many extra year’s since then. most times i take the prompts and shoot a picture or gather some ephemera (like christmas cards, receipts, things from special outings we take) and add them to a page, i like to keep it really simple. this year, along with creating some scrapbook paper pages i also added some 4″x8″ pages of watercolor paper so i can art journal too. i’m so happy that i’m already ready. woot.
don’t forget to check out the exclusive stamps that come with the kit too, it was fun to design a new set, it’s been a long time.
i also wanted to send a big round of prayers to those of you who live on the east coast. i finally sat down and watched some of the tv news this morning and my heart is aching for those who have been lost and those who have suffered. i stayed away from watching because i remember bawling and bawling as i was watching the coverage during the first days & weeks after katrina hit. i hope that those that need it get help asap and i’m also happy to hear the stories of compassionate people helping others.
available november 1st at JBS mercantile with the rest of the amazing nov kits.
just a little heads up for any of you that might be interested, spoonflower is having an in house fat quarter sale through halloween. that means you can order two of my fabrics for the price of one. kinda a cool deal and a great way for you to try out my designs, or even a few of the other amazing artists they have over there.
i’ve been playing around with my cameo some more, altering some vintage Halloween files i’ve had forever. just putzing in photoshop & illustrator, cutting and seeing what happens. over the weekend i decided to turn one of my no.31 stackable brushes into a cut file, just to see how it would look. i subtracted a few items, played around with the merge & grouping functions and turned the two brush files into the haunted house you see above. there’s actually more pieces in the design, but after cutting these are the ones that i decided to keep, you might choose to add more.
if you’d like the file to use this halloween (or next) just click here. and, if you use it let me know, i’d love to see what you make.
now i’m off to get started on the bean’s owl costume. it’s going to be quite a process of sitting & cutting fabric into little feathers. wish me luck!